Monday, November 16, 2009

Yes My Hair Is Long

I was in a hurry this morning so instead of putting my hair up in a bun or clip I quickly pulled it back and ran out of the house. I get to work and one of the girls comes up to me:

" Your hair looks different."

I thought for a moment then replied "Its not in a bun."

"OH that's it! Huh its curly."

I thought, 'This is a bit strange'. Yet things like this kept happening.

"Wow your hair is long! I like it."

"You have curls, is that natural?"

"Why don't you wear your hair down?"

etc, etc. I made up some excuse like "Oh its a lot of work to wear it down." to avoid my true reason. I haven't worn my hair down in public in over a year. It started as an experiment to see what hijab would be like and I got use to it. Now it feels bizarre if I try to step out with it down. I feel naked and need to put it up in a clip or at least back into a ponytail. It occured to me today that my current office has never seen me with my hair down, which would explain them having a reaction to me with a ponytail. You don't realize how much people notice your hair until you do something different. Is hair really that important? Or is just such a defining feature that we notice when it changes on a person? I'm not sure but it was an odd reaction.

All I know is, I am making sure I put it in a bun from now on. I want to avoid the "why do you never wear your hair down" question. Its awkward for me. I'm not ready to let office acquaintances know of my religious exploration.

7 comments:

  1. I think it's because we're so used to seeing hair. People use their hair as subtle expressions of personality, or rebellion, and it's pretty. So seeing it different on someone who wears it the same way all the time surprises us.

    I know here, it's been almost a year and a half since I showed my hair in public. 80% of the people I work with have never seen my hair. The one who have last saw it when it was long and brown. It is neither of those things right now. If I walked in without a cover, people would be *all over it*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you are probably right Amber. It just suprised me is all, even if it makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'The one who have last saw it when it was long and brown.'

    I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to the English language for that sentence.

    It should have read, 'The ones who have, last saw it when it was long and brown.' *hangs head in shame* Review *before* you post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never wear my hair down either. It seems that wearing a hijab seems to be less of a severe step when your hair is already less noticeable because its kept basically out of sight already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its true. In the west, a bun could basically equal a hijab. It can serve a similar purpose to a scarf

    ReplyDelete
  6. My business partner has never seen my hair. Indeed, we had been working together for a year before we ever met in person! On, um, another note (was at a concert last night), I just got that 'Aren't you ever going to show your hair again? But it's so pretty!' bit last night after the concert. I don't feel any personal need to show my hair, so it didn't bug me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess when we see someone, we look at their face, into their eyes and your hair frames your face...so, yeah, it's quite noticeable when you wear it differently. Hey, I'd much rather people be checking out my face, eyes and hair than running their eyes down my body, ya know? That creeps me out.

    Enjoyed this post and hearing how people reacted to you. :)

    ReplyDelete