Masha'Allah, this really opened my eyes. He brings up a very good point that interpreting hadith should best be left to people that have studied them in depth, taking into account the Arabic meanings of the words and the situations that caused Prophet Muhammad (saw) to say them. And, of course, it is very important to check and make sure that the interpretation of the hadith doesn't contradict the Holy Qur'an. The hadiths might very well make perfect sense and support the Qur'an, but because of meanings lost in translation they may be confusing/seem contradictory in English. But Allahu Alim.
This was actually the only answer I found that didn't dance around it. Most just said "You have to trust in the words of the prophet" and that was that. He was at least very honest.
Yes hadiths really should be left to scholars. Lay people like myself just end up getting more confused when they are tackled on our own. A little help from someone who has studied them a great deal is always good.
have you heard of gog and magog? I might be totally off on the spelling but I though what about if it is THOSE women who are in hell fire?
for example this hadith
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: The Prophet said, "On the day of Resurrection Allah will say, 'O Adam!' Adam will reply, 'Labbaik our Lord, and Sa'daik ' Then there will be a loud call (saying), Allah orders you to take from among your offspring a mission for the (Hell) Fire.' Adam will say, 'O Lord! Who are the mission for the (Hell) Fire?' Allah will say, 'Out of each thousand, take out 999.' At that time every pregnant female shall drop her load (have a miscarriage) and a child will have grey hair. And you shall see mankind as in a drunken state, yet not drunk, but severe will be the torment of Allah." (22.2) (When the Prophet mentioned this), the people were so distressed (and afraid) that their faces got changed (in color) whereupon the Prophet said, "From gog and Magog nine-hundred ninety-nine will be taken out and one from you. You Muslims (compared to the large number of other people) will be like a black hair on the side of a white ox, or a white hair on the side of a black ox, and I hope that you will be one-fourth of the people of Paradise." On that, we said, "Allahu-Akbar!" Then he said, "I hope that you will be) one-third of the people of Paradise." We again said, "Allahu-Akbar!" Then he said, "(I hope that you will be) one-half of the people of Paradise." So we said, Allahu Akbar." [Bukhari]
Ive never heard that one but now its got be heavily confused lol.
I have no idea what a gog and magog is. But this hadith is even more stressful than the previous. And who are the "other half" then if the muslims are only half?
I can't find the hadith at the moment but it was said that Allah swt sent hundreds of thousands of prophets and messengers to the people before us.
It is said that on the day of judgement some prophets will come with a nation of people following them, some with a handful and some with no followers at all. The second to largest nation will be that of Musa (as) and the largest will be that of Muhammad (saw).
Its kinda true already...last I checked Islam was first in line with the most practicing followers in the world. Then Judaism then Christianity. I wish I could find that site again. Although I think Buddhism actually came in second. It was a list of all the major religions in line by most followers recorded.
I'd be very surprised if there are more practicing Jews than practicing Christians. There are only a few million Jews *at all* on the planet, some of whom are practicing and some aren't, and at least a billion who identify as Christians - again, some of whom are practicing, some of whom aren't. I am told that around 20% of the US population are evangelical Christians (which means by definition practicing), which would mean... ca. 60 million! That's probably nearly 5 times the total world Jewish population!
that maybe true but this refers to ALL time. Meaning the Jews since the day of Musa (as) until the time of Jesus (as). Once Jesus (as) came they were supposed to follow him but they didn't. For whatever reason and they will answer to Allah swt so there is no need to speculate. Between Jesus (as) and Muhammad (saw) was maybe 5 or 6 centuries and after he came they were supposed to follow him. Again, for whatever reason they didn't and will answer to Allah swt for it. Then after Muhammad until the day of judgment counts as a nation since he was the last messenger. So that is what it is meant and it is traditionally understood. and Allah swt knows best.
Tuttie - Thats interesting. I wondered that myself but am not ready to touch the subject with a post...whether or not the intention was for the human race to follow Musa, then all follow Jesus, then all transfer to following Muhammad. Its doesn't seem like this is exactly the case since it is written in the Qur'an that God created the three so we could learn to respect each other. But it is something I have thought about, seems plausible.
Masha'Allah, this really opened my eyes. He brings up a very good point that interpreting hadith should best be left to people that have studied them in depth, taking into account the Arabic meanings of the words and the situations that caused Prophet Muhammad (saw) to say them. And, of course, it is very important to check and make sure that the interpretation of the hadith doesn't contradict the Holy Qur'an. The hadiths might very well make perfect sense and support the Qur'an, but because of meanings lost in translation they may be confusing/seem contradictory in English. But Allahu Alim.
ReplyDeleteThis was actually the only answer I found that didn't dance around it. Most just said "You have to trust in the words of the prophet" and that was that. He was at least very honest.
ReplyDeleteYes hadiths really should be left to scholars. Lay people like myself just end up getting more confused when they are tackled on our own. A little help from someone who has studied them a great deal is always good.
have you heard of gog and magog? I might be totally off on the spelling but I though what about if it is THOSE women who are in hell fire?
ReplyDeletefor example this hadith
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: The Prophet said, "On the day of Resurrection Allah will say, 'O Adam!' Adam will reply, 'Labbaik our Lord, and Sa'daik ' Then there will be a loud call (saying), Allah orders you to take from among your offspring a mission for the (Hell) Fire.' Adam will say, 'O Lord! Who are the mission for the (Hell) Fire?' Allah will say, 'Out of each thousand, take out 999.' At that time every pregnant female shall drop her load (have a miscarriage) and a child will have grey hair. And you shall see mankind as in a drunken state, yet not drunk, but severe will be the torment of Allah." (22.2) (When the Prophet mentioned this), the people were so distressed (and afraid) that their faces got changed (in color) whereupon the Prophet said, "From gog and Magog nine-hundred ninety-nine will be taken out and one from you. You Muslims (compared to the large number of other people) will be like a black hair on the side of a white ox, or a white hair on the side of a black ox, and I hope that you will be one-fourth of the people of Paradise." On that, we said, "Allahu-Akbar!" Then he said, "I hope that you will be) one-third of the people of Paradise." We again said, "Allahu-Akbar!" Then he said, "(I hope that you will be) one-half of the people of Paradise." So we said, Allahu Akbar." [Bukhari]
so maybe they are from gog and magog. just maybe.
I am not a scholar or anything but my hubs is and he thought it was a good point to research it.
ReplyDeleteIve never heard that one but now its got be heavily confused lol.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what a gog and magog is. But this hadith is even more stressful than the previous. And who are the "other half" then if the muslims are only half?
O_O
the Christians and the Jews that came before and didn't doctor their religion.
ReplyDeletegog and magog are one of the signs of the day of judgment.
I can't find the hadith at the moment but it was said that Allah swt sent hundreds of thousands of prophets and messengers to the people before us.
ReplyDeleteIt is said that on the day of judgement some prophets will come with a nation of people following them, some with a handful and some with no followers at all. The second to largest nation will be that of Musa (as) and the largest will be that of Muhammad (saw).
Oh I know which Hadith you are talking about!
ReplyDeleteIts kinda true already...last I checked Islam was first in line with the most practicing followers in the world. Then Judaism then Christianity. I wish I could find that site again. Although I think Buddhism actually came in second. It was a list of all the major religions in line by most followers recorded.
I'd be very surprised if there are more practicing Jews than practicing Christians. There are only a few million Jews *at all* on the planet, some of whom are practicing and some aren't, and at least a billion who identify as Christians - again, some of whom are practicing, some of whom aren't. I am told that around 20% of the US population are evangelical Christians (which means by definition practicing), which would mean... ca. 60 million! That's probably nearly 5 times the total world Jewish population!
ReplyDeleteI may have recalled the list wrong.
ReplyDeletethat maybe true but this refers to ALL time. Meaning the Jews since the day of Musa (as) until the time of Jesus (as). Once Jesus (as) came they were supposed to follow him but they didn't. For whatever reason and they will answer to Allah swt so there is no need to speculate. Between Jesus (as) and Muhammad (saw) was maybe 5 or 6 centuries and after he came they were supposed to follow him. Again, for whatever reason they didn't and will answer to Allah swt for it. Then after Muhammad until the day of judgment counts as a nation since he was the last messenger. So that is what it is meant and it is traditionally understood. and Allah swt knows best.
ReplyDeleteTuttie - Thats interesting. I wondered that myself but am not ready to touch the subject with a post...whether or not the intention was for the human race to follow Musa, then all follow Jesus, then all transfer to following Muhammad. Its doesn't seem like this is exactly the case since it is written in the Qur'an that God created the three so we could learn to respect each other. But it is something I have thought about, seems plausible.
ReplyDelete