The compulsion to be right that is. Why is it that humans have this insatiable need to be right? Why is it that so many believe their can only be one right answer and all others must be wrong?
I do not see what is so difficult about accepting the fact that their may be multiple answers to one question. Yet, in religion and in life, people seem to have this irresitable attraction to being right. Only the Christians can go to Heaven, Only the Jews, Only the muslims. Why not all believers?
I see no value in saying that only one group goes to Heaven. If God had wanted us to be all one religion He would have made it so. Obviously, that was not the case and there must be a reason for it. What the reason is, I do not know. I do know that God is suppose to be just and merciful. A just and merciful God would not go “Ok here are three religions all which praise and glorify me. One of them is the right one, figure it out or you can't go to Heaven.” That is completely unmerciful and unjust. That is ridiculous. I will never believe that my religion is the only group that can go to Heaven. In fact, I don't think you need to be part of an organized religion to go to Heaven. If a person is pious, strong in their faith in God, and is a good person I see no reason why they can't be eligible for Heaven even if they dont belong to a particular faith.Your admitance to Heaven is based on your relationship and service to God. Not what set of rules or book you follow.
I get how the Jews and the Christians obtain this veiw. The Jews are the “choosen people” and many take that literally. The Christians believe that Jesus was sacraficed so they may be saved therefore if you don't believe in Jesus as the savior you haven't been saved and you can't go to Heaven (this is WAY more complicated, I just don't feel like writing the whole thing out. If any of my Christian readers feel the need to elaborate, please go ahead). But I do not know where the muslims get the idea that they are the only ones that can be saved when the Qur'an clearly states countless times that this is not so.
My favorite ayah is this:
Those who believe (in the Qu'ran)
and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures)
and the Christians and the Sabians
Any who believe in God
and the Last Day
and work riteousness
Shall have their reward
With their Lord on them
There shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve
There is a portion of this ayah in almost every surah of the Qur'an. The idea of all believers being able to achieve oneness with God is reenforced so often that I do not understand how any muslim can believe they are the only ones that go to Heaven. The Qur'an even says that God will judge between the believers for their mistakes and decide which ones are forgiveable. The Qur'an says that yes the Christians and the Jews and even the Muslims made mistakes but if those mistakes were made in good intention they can be forgiven. When I read through the Qur'an again, I am going to record every ayah that mentions this topic so that it can be clearly seen how important this message was for us from God.
The Bible and the Torah do not condemn others who believe in one God either. So it begs the question; Where did this zelous attitude about being right come from? I do wonder if the leaders of the religions developed it to scare people from leaving their religion. People would be much more free to explore other faiths if they didn't need to fear about being “right”. My mother's major fear in my studies is that I may be wrong about my theory that all believers are eligible for Heaven. She worries about what if I do need Jesus as my savior and the Son of God to obtain paradise. That is her, and I'm sure many parents, objection to her daughter's exploration of Islam. Look how much less converts would have to deal with if this need to be right didn't exist. I'm sure we would be met with a lot less hostility from our families if all religions of one God were acceptable paths. And look how much more peace there would be in the world. The religions of the world would be much less likely to get people to ralley against an opposing religion if they did not have the “right religion” argument on their side. Our world would be a much better place.
I choose to believe that all believers, regardless of religion, can be eligible for Paradise. I choose to believe in the message of the Qur'an, not opposing hadiths or scholars on this topic. This is my choice and regardless of what religion I choose to be I will stay firm in this belief. Always have, always will.
Wow...nicely stated!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteand in the quran it is said that when islam is revealed, we all have to adhere to it. if we dont we go to hell. but the jews and christians that followed jesus and musa peace be upon them before mohamed peace be upon him came will go to paradise God willing. i will look for the exact ayah.
ReplyDeleteThe big problem in Christianity with accepting a religion as salvific that does not include redemption by the sacrifice of Jesus is that the alternative is an attempt to attain salvation by one's own works. Which is very nice except that only God is the savior. And if we say our works materially impact our salvation (instead of being an effect thereof), that amounts to attributing to our own works a property which belongs exclusively to God. Which is idolatry. And if there is one thing I have noticed over my 30 years of being a believer, it is that every sin we commit, in the end boils down to the question of whom (or what) we are worshiping. And the answer has to be God and only God. Of course, if we commit some mistake unknowingly, we can count on mercy. But I have even met people who purposely remain ignorant 'in order to be able to count on God's mercy'! I doubt that was what God had in mind... So yeah, I think it is important to get that one thing right: whom we are worshiping.
ReplyDeleteSurely, they have disbelieved who say: "Allah is the Messiah ﴿`Isa﴾, son of Maryam.'' But the Messiah said: "O Children of Israel! worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.'' Verily, whosoever sets up partners (in worship) with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the wrongdoers there are no helpers.) (73. Surely, they have disbelieved who say: "Allah is the third of three.'' And there is no god but One God (Allah). And if they cease not from what they say, verily, a painful torment will befall on the disbelievers among them.) (74. Will they not repent to Allah and ask His forgiveness For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.) (75. The Messiah ﴿`Isa﴾, son of Maryam, was no more than a Messenger; many were the Messengers that passed away before him. His mother ﴿Maryam﴾ was a Siddiqah. They both used to eat food. Look how We make the Ayat clear to them; yet look how they are deluded away (from the truth).) ( from sura 5)
ReplyDeletefor me these verses are clear, you worship other besides Allah you go to hell. Allah doesnt forgive associating anything to him. and if we die upon that, we go to hell. but if we repent before, He is the most Merciful and the Just. he is just because he lets us choose what we follow. not because someone is born christian, jew or muslim, hes going to hell. it is what you choose to worship, your deeds that bring you to paradise or hell. in the taurah and injil, it was said that if Mohamed peace be upon him came, we have to follow him. thats an obligation. he came with the Quran which is the ultimate book. it doesnt contradict the two previous books except in what men themselves falsified in them of course. anyways continue reading the Quran and reading the tafsir of it. i wish the best for you
Habibti: thanks for the info. I have read that ayah which points out the faults of everyone. It makes a good point, however, I still stick to what I think. Islam also has not been ready available in most Christian countries. You have to seek it out or you know nothing more than women wear a headscarf. So taking the stance of "They know about it, they rejected it, too bad" really doesn't hold well.
ReplyDeleteEVERYONE: But what is the harm in believing that more than just your group could be eligible for Heaven? Where is the harm in seeing that God may be merciful and just and not expect us imperfect humans to figure out what is right.
Its like the argument that I've heard so many times. Those that follow their religion is right then have to think: so that means that some great people like Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Buddha etc did not go to Heaven because they do not belong to your religion. That because I am Christian and my aunt was Jewish, I am suppose to believe that she did NOT go to heaven simply because she was Jewish? This wonderful, charitable woman who worked with kids most of her life then even in the old age of her 80s still volunteered at a hospital. She even gave most of her money to charity. But simply because she is Jewish I am suppose to believe she went to Hell.
Nope, no way. Not gonna happen.
"If a person is pious, strong in their faith in God, and is a good person I see no reason why they can't be eligible for Heaven even if they dont belong to a particular faith. Your admitance to Heaven is based on your relationship and service to God."
ReplyDeleteWell said. And, quite frankly, the only thing that makes sense with a merciful God.
And, forgive me, because I know it's not the point of the post, and I'm a little drugged on cold meds, but ask any Christian, and they'll tell you that they don't associate partners with God. The Muslims'll argue, and say, yes you do, and we'll explain we don't, and they'll say we're in denial, or won't admit the truth, and then Christians'll tell Muslims that they follow a false religion, demean women, want to kill all the unbelievers, yadda, and the Muslims'll argue they don't, and they'll get told they're lying, or don't understand their own religious texts, and it all falls apart in a lot of shouting and insults. So how's about the Muslims don't tell Christians what we believe, and Christian's don't tell Muslims what they believe. Okay? :)
"When I read through the Qur'an again, I am going to record every ayah that mentions this topic so that it can be clearly seen how important this message was for us from God."
ReplyDeleteOr just get one with a good index! I was wishing I'd noted down references, but then I noticed the index in the back and it makes it so much easier to research what the Quran says about any topic.
This topic of who goes to heaven is next on my list to look at, too. I want to get to the bottom of it.
And I absolutely agree with you, I could never bring myself to believe that you had to belong to a particular religion or sect.
I like your theory that it's a way of keeping people from exploring other faiths. That makes sense.
Amber's comment made me smile. So true! I'm already tired of it...
Amber: I love your comments, they make me smile :)
ReplyDeleteYes I agree, people should not make comments about other people's beliefs if they know very little about them. The way I see Jesus as God is this:
The Christians ARE worshipping God because they believe Jesus and God are the SAME. Now, I obviously am not a fan of the "Jesus is God" idea but you can't call it polytheism if Christians clearly believe they are worshipping the one God. So even if it ends up being an oops, you really can't chastise them too heavily for it. They are in firm belief that they are worshipping the One God we all desire to know, they just go about it in a way that does not make sense to those that are not Christian. Hense the confusion.
Laila: Oooo I do need an index....I wonder if mine has one...
I can't wait to hear what you come up with too. This is a topic I started researching in my teens but its taken till about now for me to start getting a grasp on it. I think it took me getting really interested in another religion to find clarity on the subject. I look forward to reading what you come up with.
Great post, I totally agree. I also don't feel like only people from one religion will go to heaven. That's ridiculous to me too.
ReplyDelete