Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Minority of The Minority

I just had to get this out.

Every so often when I read a post by Ellen at Steadily Emerging With Grace I think about this. Kimdonesia made me think about it as well. Being a muslim in America is being part of a minority. Being Shi'a is being part of a minority within Islam. So essentially by choosing the Shi'a school I become a minority of the minority. Now, coming from my current place of not being a minority what so ever it would probably be quite overwhelming to not only be part of a misunderstood religion in your country but then to be a part of the misunderstood school within your religion. Being from a Catholic household, I experienced a bit of prejudice from other Christian faiths, more specifically a Lutheran student at my high school who often liked to remind me that the Catholics got it all wrong and that is why Luther had to leave and create the Lutheran church. She also informed me that Catholics somehow worship God the wrong way and we do our sign of the cross backwards. I have heard other churches bash them for their beliefs, their practices, and their Pope. What still stuns me is people were afraid to elect Kennedy president because he was Catholic. Catholics are Christians too, but many don't see that. And the worst part is, Catholicism is part of the accepted religion of this country. So what happens to you if you are part of a religion that is not accepted and you are the minority?

I wonder if by choosing the Shi'a school I am making things harder for myself. Although I can't see myself going any other way. I choose the Shi'a school for my own personal reasons, regardless of what school my teacher belongs too. The Sunni school just does not agree with me as well, that is all. I will read an abridged version of Sahih Muslim and pay attention to Sunni teachings but in the end I know into which school I fit.

The hatred scares me. There is so much hatred for muslims, then add all the hatred for the Shi'a and a person is liable to crack. Such dark hatred, the kind that burns deep inside a person like it comes from something inhuman. Its like for a moment your conscious is suspended and you no longer can feel remorse. This kind of hatred is so dangerous. I already have nightmares that I will be walking down the street in hijab and get attacked by a hater. But as a Shi'a, I would also have to be afraid of my brothers and sisters in Islam. Other muslims do not have an excuse to be so ignorant as the general person. Why hate on your ummah? What does this accomplish? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I'm already tired of all the hate, all the nit picking. "You do this wrong, you do that wrong". Do you know what this does sisters? This DRIVES PEOPLE AWAY FROM ISLAM. Stop it. You make it scary to us on the outside, you make it seem like we can never do right. You overwhelm us with your constant picking, its too much. Stop bashing, stop criticizing. For all that is good and holy try helping instead of criticizing, try listening instead of bashing. You will get farther, and we will all feel more at peace.

Peace starts with the individual. Choose peace.

10 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKptigJSBSI :)

    It's really not that bad in non-Muslim countries sis. I've never experienced any difficulty here in Australia and inshaAllah you will not either. If you feel like you're treated badly because of your religion, remember all that the Prophet (peace be upon him & his family) went through in the early years. Remember Fatima (as) and remember Zainab (as). I find that reading about Fatima (as) helps me a lot - also, if you haven't already, have a look at Zainab's (as) speech in Damascus after the events at Karbala.

    Sorry for making you feel worried about it though! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. As salam alaykum,

    I personally know a lot of Shias from my area and none of them has been been treated badly just because of they've chosen to follow the Shia school. After all, it's a personal decision and what's in your heart is what matters.

    I don't judge other Muslims because of what they believe in, simply because it's not up to me to judge who's a good Muslim and who's not, Allah knows best!
    Why should I start picking on other Muslims just because they don't believe what I believe in? I think we should try our very best to leave the differences to the day of Judgment. Allah knows best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salaam alaikum,

    I say go for it. If you feel that this is the best way to practice Islam, who are others to stop you?

    Also, I finally started my own blog! It's at: http://thisisnotclever.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post. I used to live in Cairo, and now live in Holland. So I'm now part of the "Muslim minority". And in a country where the most famous politician wants to ban Qur'ans and says the Qur'an is like Mein Kampf, it's pretty scary!
    I guess a lot of strength has to come from Islam itself and your relationship with God. I am secure in the knowledge that what I believe is true and that my connection with God is real. I'A that will always be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that maybe that the whole separating yourself into one of the other is maybe not such a good idea. I understand that may be its the best way for you to learn etc so it will be fine!
    I personally feel that we were never meant to be split into Sunni/Shia/other minority sects in Islam. Im sure that we were meant to be as one.... There might be a hadith or at least a Quran passage that backs this up. OR watch the Arrivals series. thearrivals.blogspot.com.
    As far as I am aware, thats how it should be. the separation into sects is always going to cause problems. Look at the conflict it caused in the UK with Catholic/ Protestant in Northern Ireland. Look at the problems in Iraq when Sunni's were in the minority. I cant off the top of my head think of any sunni killing shia as I don't know enough about the world to understand the complexity of it.
    I just think of myself as MUSLIM not shia or sunni. its the safest and also the in my humble opinion the more suitable it is for islam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen: Aw don't feel bad, I like being reminded of things, makes me think. I always find your posts on Shi'a Islam very insightful.

    My Love and his family have had issues here in America. They were asked to leave a mosque once because they pulled out their piece of earth (I can't remember its name) for prayer and people freaked out. I dunno if I could handle that happening to me. But yes, in most cases I haven't heard of too many problems in the US.

    I love Zainab's speech after Karbala. Such a strong woman. Fatima too, she amazes me.

    Hijab Chic: That is a wonderful way too look at things. In the end, God will judge us all who are we to judge?

    Banana Anne: YAY I'll drop by your blog soon :)

    Cairo, Lusaka, Amsterdam: That's awful! Stay strong. You are right, your strength has to come from within your religion and your firm belief.

    Elizabeth: Yes I would like some day to just be able to say "I am muslim" without the school tag. Unfortunately, I learned very quickly it is really hard to learn both schools at once. Although if anyone were to ask me, I'd most likely say "muslim" not "I'm Shi'a". Saying "muslim" just avoids a lot of unwanted conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "For all that is good and holy try helping instead of criticizing, try listening instead of bashing. You will get farther, and we will all feel more at peace."

    *claps* Excellent.

    I'm a white girl in the South. I've never been a minority, but I have friends who are. Honestly, when we talk, it's like we grew up in two different worlds. It's hard for them, in ways most of us never even think about - and it's not as though they have a choice. They can't *stop* being who they are.

    But for you, or anyone else who makes the choice to place themselves in a minority, I imagine it must be a shock. Yet, if it's whats right for you, then what other choice do you have?

    *deletes long and possibly off topic rant* *deletes second, shorter rant* Okay. I'm just gonna leave this one alone. Prejudice *BAD* in all its forms.

    The Lutheran kid...oh that's kinda funny. Catholics cross themselves 'backwards' from the Orthodox (or vice versa, depending on who you're asking), but I've never met a Lutheran who crossed themselves in the first place. (Too much 'Rome'!) And I was 'Old School German Lutheran' (which, ps, is the *best* and *only* acceptable form of Lutheranism, thank you very much. If you can't trace your ancestry back to the Fatherland, you're not a REAL Lutheran. You're a *heretic* somehow...) *snicker* Yeah, my great/grandparents were very proud of our heritage, can you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand being scared about this... I'm actually starting to be scared about that too.

    A simple comment I received from someone asking me if I was sure I'd want to be considered Muslim forever (or if I left, seen as a weirdo who went through a phase to non-Muslims or an apostate to Muslims). Now with Kim leaving Islam and me learning that another blogger I really enjoyed has too (vintage goth). I'm in shock today! It's hard just being Muslim, even when you conform to regular Islam...

    I don,t want to associate to any sect within Islam. I think we should all be Muslim. Of course, we may not have all the same beliefs as others, but if we are clear in what it is that we believe in, we can call ourselves Muslim and explain the rest if it comes up and someone wants to know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amber: LOL Write your rant on your blog I want to read it!

    Yeah I understand that people who are born a minority have no choice but to deal with it. Most think I'm crazy to consider choosing to be a minority...maybe I am a little crazy :)

    Hahaha she said they cross with their left hand or something. I never understood what that girl meant. Oddly enough, she now is romantically involved with a Catholic and goes to Catholic mass. She may even convert if they marry. Oh life is funny.

    ReplyDelete