Sunday, November 29, 2009

Advent Starts Today

For those that are Christian, the holy season of Advent begins today.

You can read about Advent HERE

Did anyone else have those awesome German chocolate advent calendars as a kid? I LOVE those. If I become muslim, I am so making something similar for Ramadan. Advent and Ramadan actually have a quite a few similarities, a period of waiting and fasting and reflection.

May you all have a blessed season, and a beautiful Christmas to come.

Salaam.

4 comments:

  1. We grew up evangelical, so I never experienced a church that did an advent season, per se. It seems like it would give more meaning to it as opposed to making it a holiday about commercialism with a little religion thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advent is actually pretty cool, very pretty. Pop your head into a Catholic church sometime during the season, they are usually decorated so beautifully. And the Advent wreath is surely something to see. It is a nice reminder of what Christmas is actually suppose to be about for Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I loved those chocolate calendars!
    And yes, Advent is very pretty and truly does, for lack of a better/more creative term, "put the 'Christ' back in Christmas". I still get chills when I hear "O Come, O Come Emmanuel". I loved that song so much that I tried to "Islamicize" it by putting in lyrics about Isa (as) coming as a prophet (e.g. instead of saying "until the son of God appear", I changed it to "until Rasul ALLAH appears", Isa technically being a rasulALLAH even though that term is generally reserved for Muhammad (saw) ).

    ReplyDelete
  4. BananaAnne: That is so cute! Islamicizing Christmas songs. Sadly it doesnt work very well....but lots of other Christmas traditions can be islamcized for Ramadan and Eid ul Fitr....still I don't think an Eid tree will work LOL

    ReplyDelete