People ask me all the time why Shia, why not Sunni? of course I'll be honest: My Love is Shia so that is what I grew to know. However, a lot of it is a feeling and personally I'd love to be neither and just be muslim. But it really doesn't work that way. I can't fully explain why it makes sense to me, it just does. I do think Imam Ali would have been the appropriate successor. Abu Bakr was like a politician, I do not have an understanding as to what made him qualified to continue the religion. The caliphs actually remind me of Popes (I have a huge issue with the concept of a Pope). And the mess that came after him due to his sucessors was quite difficult to repair. Perhaps it is because I come from a Catholic background. The Imams work exactly like saints, they can interceed for you with God. Now I'm not a big fan of this but at least I understand it. Jesus also had 12 apostles, there are 12 Imams. Jesus left successors to take over his teachings so why wouldn't Muhammad? It just makes sense to me. Also, some of the things I identify with, sayings that have truly touched me, have come from the Imams. So much wonderful knowledge in Najhul Balagha (dispite its couple issues of fabrication) and the Pslams of Islam by Imam Zayn ul Abedeen. Beautiful books so full of knowledge.
Of course I have issues with it too. Some Shia scholars advocate for the return of temporary marriage which I highly disagree with. Some get too into Imam Ali and Imam Husayn, forgetting who the prophet actually is. And I'm not 100% how I feel about Imam Madhi being the one who comes on the Day of Judgement. I need to learn more about him.
I'm no scholar, I don't know the inner workings of either school. All I know is that when I run into an issue its usually from a hadith out of Sahih Muslim. Not that Sahih Muslim is all around a bad book, I plan on reading it myself. It has lots of great hadiths too, I just don't understand how these hadiths work. Hadiths from so many different people. But I don't understand hadith in general so I guess that doesn't help either.
Although I do think all Shias should read at least an abridged version of Sahih Muslim and all Sunnis should read the Pslams of Islam. Maybe we'd gain a little more respect for each other.
Sigh, just one more thing to worry about.
You are always so honest in your posts, Masha'Allah. I kind of did the opposite of you; I consider myself Sunni because that is what I was exposed to and that is who I learned from. But I would love to be just Muslim and not have to choose sides (or have there be sides at all). I have not read Najhul Balagha or the Psalms of Islam, but Insha'Allah I will someday so I can have a better understanding of the Shi'a school.
ReplyDeleteQuestion: I know this probably only enforces the division between Muslims, but what school of Shi'a thought do you follow? Jafari, Twelver, Ismaili? (I'm sure there are more)
Anne: I'll be honest there are so many schools of thought I can't keep track so I follow in more of a general fashion. The actual school I attend works the same way, they incorporate information from all the schools of thought. Its just too complicated when you start breaking it down that way. I think that is why I would rather be just muslim. Much simpler.
ReplyDeleteBut seeing as how I will never be a traditional muslim, that is probably the best way to go. I have issues with both schools and honestly wish it was just one. But it doesn't work that way. Eventually, Islam will end up just like Chrstianity. A bizillion different versions. Its just how people are.
Karen Armstrong seems to have a particular sympathy with Shiaism, at least in "A History of God". She's written a number of books on Islam and she has a high regard for Islam in general, but particularly Shiaism, it seems.
ReplyDeleteA lot of Sunnis do seem to speak of Shia like they're some sort of heretical sect, rather than a valid alternative denomination, and I find that really sad. They have soooo much in common!
Sarah: it is how they speak. It makes me sad. Every time I see it, I move away from Islam.
ReplyDeleteYou're right about the bazillion different sects. Even Prophet Muhammad (saw) said that Muslims will divide themselves into many sects. It can even be interpreted that Muslims will be even more divided than Jews and Christians (I think the hadith said that Jews will have 71 sects, Christians will have 72, and Muslims will have 73). And it's honestly a damn shame that this is the way it's going to be. Unfortunately, humans are weak and selfish, and we like to be part of a group, so wherever there are humans and religion, there are going to be differences and hostility to people that "don't belong". The truth is hard to accept sometimes. :(
ReplyDeleteAnne: Yes Sad face exactly :(
ReplyDeleteI think I read the post that you are referring to :( and yeah I do get it. It can get very patronising.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I've never met anyone in real life who has challanged my personal beliefs re Sunni/Shia. Obviously I've had more than a few encounters online but I can live with that. I think that any experiences I may have in real life wouldn't be too often and I think that if it's every now and again, you'll be fine. It also seems to me that with every experience, I become *more* in tune with my beliefs so perhaps these posts are reaffirming your beliefs too?
A lecture I went to once said that "We are so lucky. We have been chosen by God to be witnesses." Maybe think of it like that (as long as you don't then put a wall between yourself and other Muslims)?
Banana Anne - Most of Shia Muslims are from the Ja'fari school which is itself the Twelver school... LK I think, from your posts, that your Love is probably Ja'fari.
Re your issues: If you are in a position to educate those who concentrate too much on the Imams, then try your best - other than that, there are always going to be people who take it further than it's supposed to go. As for mut'ah, you already know my position. However, mut'ah is not a make or break thing. It is (imo) something to be used in extreme cases, so I don't think that not agreeing with it would be contraversial - I'm sure many other Shia women think that way too.
I want to ask though - do you think polygamy is halal?
Ellen: Ja'fari is correct. I just haven't heard them refer to it that way and honestly I'm a bit foggy on cold meds LOL
ReplyDeleteYour version of Mu'tah makes sense. You did not have an experation date. The version I have issues with is what the Sheik in my class was talking about : How a husband is gone for 3 months so he temp marries a woman to have sex with her and then leaves her when he feels he no longer needs her. That I have a BIG problem with and see no reason for it. In this case just don't have sex! LOL
Polygamy: I'm ok with it in the form that it was used in the prophets time.
1) during a war there may be many widowed women and if a man can provide for them and their children comfortably then I see it as a blessing.
2) I am ok with how the prophet used it as a means to tie the groups together. Plus he seems to have treated his wives more like sisters. It wasn't like he was running a brothal for himself or dumping one for a younger model.
Polygamy is not necessary in our present time. Its also often abused and unfair to the women.
and yes sometimes things like this just affirm what I believe
ReplyDeleteYeah, the reason I asked was that the reasons for polygamy are very similar to the reasons for mut'ah - I also think that what you posted (how it should be practiced) is how mut'ah should be ideally practiced.
ReplyDeleteI doooon't agree with your sheikh either! Needing sex is a ridiculous reason for anything.
Yeah Sheikh thinks men NEED sex to live.
ReplyDeleteHe also said that Christians are considered unbelievers....he is lucky he was giving a speech in the masjid at the time. I probably would have walked out.
I hate to see them bashing each other too. My husband is Sunni and has a very negative view of Shias. I'm not sure he consideres them Muslim even and it's just really sad because of how much they have in common!
ReplyDeletePersonally, I will not associate myself to any sect and will just be "Muslim". But I know that if my beliefs fit in perfectly or at least close to perfectly with one of the sects, even if I wouldn't like it, I'd use the label from that sect, just to better identify myself and what I believe.
I was looking into some Islamic schools in the area the other day and read about one and it was really nice to read about it being for both Shias and Sunnis, with them being taught about both denominations. In the mosque, the Shias pray with the turbah. It sounded like a school that really bridged the gap but at the same time allowed each to have individual beliefs.
Candice: That school sounds great! In the past that is how the one I go to use to work. Sadly, the quality of classes has gone way downhill and they are working with whatever they can get. They try really hard not to bash the caliphs and always say the Sunnis just do things different, not "wrong"
ReplyDelete