Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recommendations?

Anyone have websites or books they can recommend on Muhammad? I do not care what school they are written by. Can be by a Muslim or Non-muslim. I already have "The Messenger" and "Muhammad" by Karen Armstrong. I also can only read English. If you know of sections of Sahih Muslim or Sahih Bakhari that I should look at and can provide a link that would work. But don't recommend the whole book, they are far too long :).

Anyone have a tafseer they can recommend? Preferably Shia but I don't really care if it isn't.

Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. This book seems to be accurate historically and has a lot of good reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Muhammad-Life-Based-Earliest-Sources/dp/1594771537/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I'm reading "The Sealed Nectar" by Saifur Rahman al-Mubarkpuri. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but so far it is very interesting and easy to read and follow. It is chock-full of information, and even gives a background of the clan system and culture of Arabia before Islam. This book was actually written for a worldwide contest for the best book on the biography of the Prophet (saw), and this book won.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear both books are very good. I may have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No God but God.

    It traces Islam with a strong focus on Muhammad from pre-Islamic Arabia up til Shia Islam. Talks in detail about Karbala and Sufism. It is a wholesome book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salaams!
    "The Message" by Ayatollah Jafar Subhani is the best one i know and have! it's comparative and greatly researched...

    It's available on www.al-islam.org most probably :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo thanks Splendid Sky I will have to check that out! I do not have one written by an Ayatollah yet.

    ReplyDelete