Br. S talked about how clothes reflect who you are as a person and you should dress how you want people to perceive you. Part of the purpose of hijab is to make sure we (men and women) are perceived in a positive light. One should always be clean, presentable, and ready to make a good impression. One should not choose clothes merely to attract attention or to present his or her self as a status symbol. That is haraam.
Your clothing directly effects your behavior. So does the media. Look at the kids who are into rap. They wear baggy pants belted at their thighs (how they can walk I do not know) with chains and over sized t-shirts. This person may not be a thug who wants to have some Courvoisier and get busy with the ladies but that is the impression you get because that is what the music promotes. You need to dress who you are, not what the media says is cool.
Gentlemen, you do have physical hijab. Now, a lot of it is recommended but still good to do. Do not go out shirtless and try not to wear shorts. It is better for you if you do not do these things. No tight closes, this is mandatory. No tight t-shirts or skinny jeans. Your jeans should be loose but you wouldn't want them tight anyway. Uncomfortable! When you are older, try to have a little facial hair as it is highly recommended for you. No big gold chains or flashy jewelry, leave the jewels to the ladies. Dress presentable at all times and you will be successful.
You need to dress as though you value yourself. If you do not respect yourself how can you expect others to respect you?
Ugh I think more Islamic scholars need to focus on men's modesty...I remember during 'umrah last year how so many men were walking around half-naked in the sun, with their niqabi wives next to them. Right!
ReplyDeleteLovely post :) I think I've said this before but the best hijab advice I've ever heard was from a man who even covers his head (this guy! http://www.ahlulbayt-community.com/_/rsrc/1238042689624/Home/audio-and-video-main/lectures/seyed-mahdi-al-modaressi/Modaresi.jpg).
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I couldn't agree more and how you wrote this was very tactful and informed.
Ellen: I'll check out the video when I go home Insha'Allah
ReplyDeleteCLA: Yeah that is uncalled for. Like you are not suppose to do that! Geez! Keep your shirt on! lol
Terrific post. Although it is definitely not discussed as much as women's dress code, the proper dress of men is just as important. This is one of those cases where it's helpful to think of what the Prophet (saw) would do (remember the "What Would Jesus Do" movement?). We have descriptions of what Prophet Muhammad (saw) used to wear, and it definitely didn't include anything tight, flashy, or ostentatious.
ReplyDelete@ CLA: The thing with hajj and umrah is that there men actually have a stricter dress code than women; they are only allowed to wear the two-piece "ihram" outfit and nothing else (meanwhile, women are allowed to wear whatever they want as long as hijab rules are followed).
This is a good post. Especially this bit:
ReplyDelete'Your clothing directly effects your behavior...You need to dress who you are, not what the media says is cool.'
Our first, and often only, impression of people is how they look, and a lot of that involves what they're wearing. We had two women come into our office one day to advertise a new cleaning business, and I swear to you, I believe to this day that they were crack addicted hookers. I'd certainly never let them anywhere *near* my house. We get men coming in for interviews dressed neatly in suits, and then others coming in in jeans and dress shirts. Guess who's more likely to get the job?
Your clothing is part of the face you present to the world, so you need to be sure that it reflects *you*.
Anne: For Ummrah you do not have to wear the two piece garment only hajj, at least that is my understanding. We don't have to wear the white garment for Ummrah either. So I think CLA is talking about men who choose to run around without shirts :)
ReplyDeleteAmber: Exactly. You need to present to the world who YOU are. Not who you think everyone wants you to be. And for all that is good and holy dress well for an interview LOL I can't believe what people show up in these days!
I read around a bit, and from what I noticed I think that men do wear the two piece garment on umrah as well; also, my roommate just returned from umrah with her father, and she said that the men there wore the two piece outfit. Even though it's customary, women do not have to wear white on hajj and umrah (although when I go Insha'Allah I would like to wear white, since it's simple and cool in the hot desert weather). Outside of hajj/umrah, though, I definitely think men shouldn't be walking around topless. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. :P Also, for goodness sake it's HOT and SUNNY in Saudi Arabia; the more clothes you wear the better it is for your health! I can only imagine how quickly one could get a sunburn/sun poisoning while walking around baring skin in Saudi Arabia.
ReplyDeleteAnne: Good point about the sun. Like you need to be careful!
ReplyDeleteJust because you can doesn't mean you should...that RTV is coming up soon :)
there is also rules against gold and silk for men!!!!
ReplyDeletefor a man to wear a ring of gold "is like wearing a band of hell around his finger"
and silk has something about it!
Liz: I dunno about silk but they aren't suppose to wear a lot of gold. But I've totally seen them wear gold rings. And they aren't always wedding bands.
ReplyDeleteWe know how it is ladies. The rules don't apply to them because they run things. Its the way of the world *sigh*
Good post! So many muslim sisters have complained about men's hijab- they also have to be modest! and for christians too, it seems the "modesty talk" seems to be directed to female ears! *sigh*
ReplyDeleteMisschatterbox: Yep its all the way around, same for Jewish women. They neglect to mention that the men gotta do something as well lol
ReplyDeleteLK, I have to disagree with you about Orthodox Jews. Their men have rules that are just as strict as the ladies'. They have to wear long trousers and long sleeves at all times, plus tzitzit and a head covering. And if they are traditional, they also have to have payes and a beard if possible (so as not to round the corners of their beard, as is written in the Torah).
ReplyDeleteChristian men may not be aware that their walking around shirtless is the same as a woman walking around shirtless, but any sensible Christian man who finds out the truth about that will keep his shirt on. I had a friend who did that and even trained his roommates to put on their shirts before letting me in if I came to visit them.
And my beloved is NEVER seen in public without long (and extraordinarily loose) trousers. He is the sort who would view it as mildly scandalous to show even his ankle, much less anything else. He only wears short sleeves (with maybe one button unbuttoned at the neck) in the summer time when it's REALLY hot. I think once and only once have I seen him in a T-shirt. Otherwise it's always long sleeves and all buttons buttoned. He doesn't cover his head though, unless the weather requires it :D
Caraboska: True in some Orthodox Jewish religions the men have MORE restrictions than the women. But, from what I've gathered from the Orthodox Jews I know, more emphasis is still put on the women. But these men only wear the kippah. Not the coat, curls, hat kind. And the girls stick to the black outfits with the skirts to the knees, tights, and flat shoes.
ReplyDeleteProbably those guys you refer to are wearing tzitzit, but they are tucked in so you can't see them :) I wasn't even talking about the coat and hat - that's a sort of Ashkenazi Chassidic/Haredi thing. I've never seen an Orthodox Jewish woman in black. Not flashy of course, but nonetheless... Just covered up to the collarbones, down to mid-forearm and mid-calf at a minimum, with opaque stockings, and a head covering hiding all hair if married.
ReplyDelete