Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Burqa and Jeans

A conversation from work. FYI my co-worker has no idea I study Islam.

My Co-worker is looking at a beautiful short formal dress a friend brought to work. Its got a low back, low front, halter top with a skirt to the knee. Its bronze, shiny, and gorgeous.

CW: This dress is amazing! LK you should borrow this from her!

LK: Well um, maybe with you know a cardigan...and a higher back....and something in the front.

CW: Yeah you dress really conservative. It would look nice though.

LK: Yeah well I wouldn't....

CW: Maybe with a burqa and jeans!


Yeah....she really said that. And I died in a fit of laughter. Because its true.. except it would be an abaya and jeans.

I never really thought my clothes was that noticeable. But I guess when its 90 out and you are in a cardigan and maxi dress people notice your modest attire. And my style has now been dubbed "hippie chic".

4 comments:

  1. Cute! I get the same kind of comments, but its nice to at least be noticed for something positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheheheh! Hippie chic, eh? Gotta love it :D:D:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah how funny! "burqa and jeans" - I remember once someone ( a male) made a comment about how I always dress modestly, or something along those lines, and I was really touched that they noticed! it just goes to show that you never know what little things people observe.
    I go for the maxi dress and cardigans too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had something a little scary happen yesterday. My hijab began to come undone while outdoors, so that I found it necessary to repin it while sitting at a tram stop. A friend I was with started making jokes that I look like a 'female al-Qaida'... I hate to think what would have happened if something like that had happened in the States. Guess I'll have to make SURE my hijab is securely pinned before I go out next time ;)

    ReplyDelete