When a man converts to Islam he may be considered eccentric, a little strange, an independent thinker, a rebel, perhaps even breave; but when it comes to women converts, the hand that rocks the cradle commits cultural treason. Every society seems to pin its honor, traditions, and stability on its women, so that when a female steps out of line, all hell breaks loose. The female convert to Islam, much more than her male counterpart, becomes caught in a cultural tug of war in which she becomes the rope, a both societies - the dominant western and the traditional Islamic subculture residing in it - fight to assert themselves in opposing women who see much that is positive to Islam to remain non-Muslim and many others who embrace the religion to keep apart from the Islamic community.
100% so true
SO SO true. Like, so true.
ReplyDeleteSO true!!
ReplyDeleteThis is is amazing BTW. Everyone read it!!!!
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a very different environment. My parents were extraordinarily careful to treat me exactly the same as they would treat a boy, to have exactly the same expectations of me as they would have of a boy. So that their concern would be that I was turning my back on that if I were to convert to Islam.
ReplyDeleteIt was not easy for them when I put on hijab. What I think mitigated it was that it is purely voluntary on my part and looks pretty enough that it's even worth showing off to their friends via e-mail.