Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What Makes a Religion Right For Someone?

This is essentially what I am trying to figure out: What makes a religion the "right" religion for an individual?


I honestly don't know but I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm rather puzzled on the subject myself. I can't even begin to answer this. I will explain what my issue is once I've heard your thoughts. I don't want to sway opinions because I am really interested in reading what you think.

After collecting the "data" I'll make a post about it. Could be interesting :)

Salaam

36 comments:

  1. Salam alaykum!

    That's veryinteresting... What I think is great about the religion of Islam is that it's universal and it can be the "right" religion for each and everyone of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hijab Chic: Interesting. What is it about Islam that makes it right for you then? Is it something specific or a collection of things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting question. I think people decide that a religion is "right" for them when the teachings make sense, when they are willing to incorporate these teachings into their lives (even if this means significant changes in the way they live), and when they feel genuine peace of mind because of the religion. I decided that Islam was the right religion for me because of its strict monotheism, the beauty and truth in the Qur'an (especially regarding facts alluded to in the Qur'an that were not known in 7th century Arabia), the outstanding character of Prophet Muhammad (saw), and the overall practicality of it (there is wisdom and good reasons behind every action in Islam). I studied other monotheistic religions, especially Orthodox Judaism, but out of all the religions Islam was most in line with my personal beliefs about many things. Most importantly, Alhamdulillah, I personally feel a closeness to ALLAH that I just didn't feel with other religions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing ladies... who's next? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, it can only be right if I truly believe in it without any cognitive dissonance. My heart is always dependent on my head being satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a large part of it is logic - does the Qur'an make sense? But feelings also play a part: does it feel right? Does it make you feel good/better?

    For me, I was always impressed by the scientific miracles in the Qur'an, as well as the fact that nothing in the Qur'an is contradictory. But the main reason I became religious was because of a feeling I got one day, where I just felt like I wanted to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ladies! I hope more people add their two cents. I will write a post about this post soon if I get enough people to post their answers. Could be interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to have to echo Wrestling's answer. It has to make sense, but the fun part is, a religion that makes sense to one person is not necessarily going to make sense to the next. For instance, I saw the comments about the 'scientific miracles' in the Qur'an, and how it doesn't contradict itself, and yet, you can just take a quick look around and find plenty of sites & people pointing out the contradictions in the Qur'an, and explaining how the 'scientific miracles' are no such thing. So. On the one hand, it kind of makes me miss the days when I thought everybody was nuts in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coolred38: Of course it does...but I don't see yours LOL Do you mean one on another one of my posts?

    Amber: LOL LOVE your answer. Its very true, what makes sense to one person may not to another. Ultimately I think that is why we still have all three religions. what works for one person may not work for another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think what makes it right is the truth in it. In this way, I think Islam is right for everyone. I don't think that the traditional interpretation of Islam is right for everyone because I don't think it's the perfect truth. It has its wisdom though which makes it right for people who feel closer to God and more satisfied in their lives following it. But this might not be "right" for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candice: So for you, the right religion is the one that speaks the most truth to you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe there are two things that can make it right or wrong:
    1. What the society's religion is.
    2. The person's character/nature.

    We tend to stay with whatever it is we grow up with, until we realize that it is against our nature. For example I believe in the equality of all humans in front of God. I won't follow any religion that has ranks of people between me and God (like Sheikhs, popes or Dalai Lama's.)

    After people decide they don't like their own religion, their next choice of faith depends largely on circumstances. One might go on a spiritual journey, thinking they'd go around the world and see most of the faiths out there. But they may land in Taiwan and fall in love with Buddhism and never leave it. Or they may go to Turkey and choose Islam.

    A person may choose a religion after they meet an awesome person who belongs to it. And we know that all religions have some kind, wise and tolerant people belonging to them.

    Usually once a person takes to liking a certain faith (through another person, or through a website), the rest of the faiths don't get a chance at a fair treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ikram Kurdi: Haven't heard from you in awhile welcome back. Thats really interesting especially the last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never asked 'Is Christianity the right religion for me?'

    The question (once I became convinced that God existed) was:

    'What am I going to do about the fact that God exists?' (Worship Him).

    'What am I going to do if He shows me I'm doing something wrong?' (Leave my old ways behind and be relieved to do it).

    'What do I do about my personal failings?' (I could try to earn my way into heaven by doing more good deeds to balance out the bad ones, but that would amount to worshiping my deeds as my savior instead of God - which is very nice except that only God can be my Savior - so instead: accept His redemption and salvation through Jesus Christ).

    'What am I going to do with the instructions contained in God's word?' (Live them).

    'What if I don't like something that is in the Word?' (Understand that, on the one hand, it is a package deal, and the proof of the pudding is in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, as documented in the Gospels; and on the other, I might well have misunderstood as a younger Christian due to a lack of knowledge about the Scripture and the plethora of debased teaching out there - which all goes to show what an awesome responsibility we have to weigh everything, read the entire Word before we come to a conclusion, and live what we know).

    'Am I right with God?' (Wrong question. Need to think about and focus on God and His goodness and His other attributes).

    Of course this is a very short summary of something that evolved over time (nearly 30 years and counting, to be precise).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting question. I hope you don't mind me intruding on your blog and leaving a comment?

    Someone once asked me the same question and this is what I wrote:

    Sufi, Hussein ibn Mansur al-Hallaj writes: “I thought about various beliefs, passionately wishing to understand them, and understood that they are similar to many branches of one tree. Do not force a man to prefer one belief to another because it will distract him from the trunk. In fact the trunk itself searches for the person and shows him its greatness and all its secret values for him to comprehend them.”

    I think God speaks to each one of us uniquely which is when we say "it just made perfect sense!" This uniqueness is what makes one person's perfect sense, another person's nonsense. But nothing is nonsensical because God means it for each of us to believe in something that best matches our heart and nature.

    Once I accepted this Trunk Vs branches truth, there existed no other Truth. That became my Truth, my belief. In short, I believe that every religion is right and its adherents, be they be the followers of the Abrahamic faiths or ‘smaller’ faiths, are right and have the right to love and worship God in any way that brings them peace and makes them moral. If God made billions and trillions of human beings, each one unique, why would He expect us each to worship Him in the exact same way?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Achelois: You are certainly not intruding. WELCOME. That was beautiful. I agree, that has been a theory of mine for awhile. Maybe we have many different religions because we have many different kinds of people. One person's trash is another person's treasure kind of deal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. (I believe that every religion is right and its adherents, be they be the followers of the Abrahamic faiths or ‘smaller’ faiths)

    Hmmm.. while I denifintly see why this concept of "relativism" of truth is so appealing, I can't really buy it. It's mostly based on a sentimantil theory.. and to me, there is something slightly disturbing about it.

    That's like saying that God can't make up His mind about who He really is!

    In Hinduism, there are mulitpls gods and goddeses. In christainy God is three in one. In Judaism God is one. In Islam God is uniquly one. In Budda there is no God!

    Is God toying with us, then?

    Let's pretend that this "relativism" of truth is correct (that God meant it for each of us to believe in something that best matches our heart and nature), then how come God never directly revel it to us?

    Why is He still watching us arguing (and sometimes fighting) one another about whitch is the one true religion if there is none?

    There is a world's diffrence between "relativism" of knowledge and "relativism" of truth.

    (If God made billions and trillions of human beings, each one unique, why would He expect us each to worship Him in the exact same way?)

    Because we're not THAT different. We never were.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anon: very interesting. I see you have some good points. The concept of relativism works and doesn't work at the same time I know. But it is surely a more peaceful way of looking at things. The Qur'an does say: I have created you in different groups so that you may know each other. I often wonder if to understand God's position we must make an effort to understand the purpose of other religions.

    Religion in the form that we know it today was created by man. God may have started it but the state in which it exists now is our doing. Perhaps God did not intend for us to split everything up but then again God knows all things and more importantly completely understands human nature. God knows that we would create mulitiple religions yet has done nothing to stop it. Why? I don't know.

    Hmmmmm interesting topic that would be. Thanks Anon I might have to do another post on this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "God knows that we would create mulitiple religions yet has done nothing to stop it. Why?"

    Maybe... development of good character is more important than correct beliefs.

    I shall now run away before anyone lynches me... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sarah: I heart you, I think you might have a good point there :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to disaree yet again, since the qestion still stands: why didn't God directly revel this if it was the case??

    People often talk about "good character" and "correct belifs" as if they were two seperat things...

    Doing good deeds to others is our duty to them. Worshiping God based on HIS terms is our duty to Him. The two things is cruical in Islam. Our Good deeds must be directed from true faith (keep in mind even athiests can develop good character).

    However, God may be more willing to forgive those who didn't fullfell their duty to Him than to forgive those who didn't fuilfell their duty to others.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anon: I don't think the question still stands. You can run around that forever and a day and never find an answer. Its a mystery we will never know. But I would rather choose the positive outcome than the one that condemns the majority of the world. Is it right, I have absolutely no idea.

    I have seen some people who have an incredibly strong belief in God but display horrible character, usually against other faiths or sects. And yes, someone who has good character does not necessarily believe in God. I do think you need both, however, I believe what Sarah was trying to say is that good character may count for more than what people think. Its mentioned often in the Qur'an and the Gospel that people will do their duty (zakat/charities, eat the right food, pray on time, go to church on Sunday) etc but not be good people in their lives. These people are usually called out by a prophet and told that they need to live the teachings as well as perform their obligatory duties. If you do not practice what God teaches you in character all these obligatory actions are somewhat lost. Which may be why both the Qur'an and the Gospel put such emphasis on one's behavior and character.

    However Anon, I must say this blog is open to all view points and you are welcome to discuss such a concept but please to do not start attacking other faiths including the polytheistic ones. Its uncalled for. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LK: Salaam! :)
    I'm sorry it took me such a long time to answer... I agree with everyone here who said that Islam makes a lot of sense - it really does.

    There's always a certain way to handle a situation (or a relationship) correctly, that's just beautiful. The Islamic values just felt SO right for me - everything actually made sense and had a healthy reasoning behind it.. That's definitely one of the things that made sense to me about Islam and got me interested in the faith of Islam and to learn more and more, alhamdulillah.

    Before I converted to Islam I was never religious because I simply couldn't believe in the thrinity (I used to be Christian) and I never could have imagined that someone like me could become religious.




    ....BTW, I'm glad to see Caraboska, the Polish Christian Hijabi is back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hijab Chic: Its ok, I will probably leave this one open for awhile. I'll be gone for a week so maybe it will have time to acumilate info.

    I understand what you are saying, you sound a bit like myself. I like reason and realism which is appealing in Islam. And I can't really get the trinity even though I understand people's reasoning behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, no no I wasn't attacking at all ! sorry if it seemed that way!

    You make really good points, and I'm very interested to hear more about this topic. =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anon: I didn't mean to call you out but I've had some issues on certain topics so I just wanted to make it clear. Its so hard to know the tone of someone's writing on the internet you know? I am glad you want to come join us in our discussion :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear anonymous,

    You didn't answer LK's question, still. I guess you were too busy pointing out my faults here and on a Christian blog ;-)

    There is no need to go anonymous. If you really stand by your beliefs, you may sign in as you always do. I won't take any offence nor will I try to intimidate you. If you are concerned about disappointing the different authors of the blogs with your harsh tone in the comments, then you know what you are doing is wrong, don't you?

    I guess it *is* easier to disagree from behind an anonymous identity, but what you said here or elsewhere is not wrong. What you are saying is right. It is right because it is right to you; for you.

    I think LK asked what you (meaning all of her readers) think what makes a religion right to *you*? I wrote what I think. I never claimed I am right; I was only sharing my belief. I could be completely wrong, but that is for God to judge. You can also say why Islam is right for you. You don't have to explain why it *should* be right for everyone. That was not LK's initial question :)

    Sorry if I have said anything here that offended you. I am a lot older than you so it takes me some time to understand the urgency you have been displaying lately, but I'm getting there! Please don't be threatened by what I say on any blog. No one is losing their belief because of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Achelois: yes that is the objective. I want to know why a religion is right for the individual not why it should be right for everyone. I am not looking for anyone to convince me or my readers of Islam or Christianity or Hinduism or Judaism etc. I just want to know what makes a religion right for an individual. I am not interested in the debate of "one true religion". Its been done to death and is not the objective of this particular post.

    Thank you to all who have answered. I look forward to hearing from more of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. "What makes a religion the 'right' religion for an individual?"

    For me, it's not about religion and a list of rules and regulations that I can do to please God. Jesus in the Bible shows us how to have a *relationship* with God and how to treat our fellow humans. So I nix religions in favor of the "belief system" (for lack of a better term) that allows me to have a loving and joyful relationship with God by the work that HE did for me, not what I did for myself to get there.

    It's no "I've arrived" by doing good deeds, but rather GOD providing the way for me to have peace with Him.

    That way I can truly say "It's not by good deeds that I have done, but according to HIS mercy that He saved me." and "It's by grace we are saved through faith, it is the GIFT OF GOD, not by works so that I cannot boast" (quoted/paraphrased from the Bible.)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Susanne: What a beautiful quote. Yes relationship and closeness to God is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Achelois,

    (There is no need to go anonymous).

    The thing is: I'm new to this whole blog thing. I don't know how to comment as non-anonymous. But I do plan to start my own blog soon, and then I won't be anonymous anymore. =)

    (You can also say why Islam is right for you. You don't have to explain why it *should* be right for everyone. That was not LK's initial question)

    Ah, but I wasn't talking about Islam.

    I was merely sharing my objections to the notion of "relativism" of truth, because I felt it made God looked confused about Himself. xD

    Don't worry, I'm not offended. =)

    I'm still pretty young (21 years old) so I can be quite too passionate at times about my beliefs, but I truely honestly mean no harm to anyone whatsoever.. so if I did offend you in any way, please accept my sincer apolegy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. No worries 'anonymous'; I usually do turn the other cheek :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. GAH! What bothers me the most (and I think I may be the only one who thinks this way) is when people call God, HIM. As if it's a given that God is male (even though God is the male form and Goddess is the other) and that it's a sin to refer to Him as Her.

    I frequently call God as She and He because God is genderless therefore why choose only one pronoun to define Her?

    Anywho that doesn't answer your question hehe.

    What makes a religion right for someone?
    When you can believe in it whole-heartedly and NOT have to swallow some of the more distasteful aspects of it. When you truly believe in all that is has to say and even if it may not be of the more traditional views, in the end it's right for you.
    And going a bit off-topic, I would love to ask such questions on my blog, to openly question and discuss aspects of religion. But due to self-imposed censorship, and the number of disagreements I've gotten on a post actually -gasp- highlighting a female hijabi singer.. I don't know if I want to handle all of the ensuing controversy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. modestjustice: interesting answer. Aw people are giving you trouble? Ive come to learn that everyone has their own opinions. I dont share some of mine because I know people are just going to rant. If I dont feel like dealing with rants then I dont put them down. However, I may start a private blog for those which the readers will be chosen for their ability to have opinions and express them respectfully

    ReplyDelete