Monday, September 21, 2009

Why the Lack of Islamic Classes?

Ok this is something I don't understand.

To convert to Christianity or Judaism you must take an 11 week course that teaches you the basics of the religion.  Often, you also have to participate in a retreat.

Why are classes not offered for those interested in Islam?  Yes there are online places but, in my opinion, it is better to learn in a live classroom than through a computer.  I think you learn more when you are around other people with the same interests and can express ideas in a group setting.  I know that you can find classes in the UK and Canada but you apparently cannot find them in the US (except maybe in Deerborne Michigan).  Why is this I ask?  Because there are A LOT of us who would gladly take a course a two.  The Muslim Society of America needs to get on that stat!

All I can say is if I convert I am so orchestrating a course like this in my area.  It is necessary and desperately needed.

If you know of one on the East Coast please let me know.  All I can find is one for Spanish women only.

EID MUBARAK!

2 comments:

  1. Some mosques do offer "Islam 101" classes, good for both the curious non-Muslims and the new Muslims. I went to it once (here in Texas), but then they stopped for Ramadan. I think they'll start back again on Wednesday. : ) Have you checked www.islamicfinder.com? Or you could bring it up at the mosque/Islamic center. I'm sure they'd be glad to start a class, if they don't have an English-language one already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive asked my friends and they all gave me a blank look "class what?" There is an islamic school here but nothing for non-muslims. I suppose they'd let me in on an adult class but I dunno. Muslims can be really exclusive at times. Sometimes its all "YAY join us!" and other times its "You're not muslim go away" you know?

    I will try islamicfinder.com. Id love to get some questions answered or hear how a person explains things instead of a book. The books can be very one sided. Still wish more women wrote them.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete