Saturday, June 26, 2010

What Happened

I am going to tell the tale because I feel it needs to be told. I have seen too many bright young women end up in my shoes. I want this blog to be an example. Learn the lesson I learned. Some relationships between people of different religions and different cultures work. But if you are expected to change your religion, to change yourself that relationship is going to fall apart. You may love them, but love alone does not a marriage make.

I realized it when My Former Love and I were having another discussion about hijab. This was probably two months ago. We've had this conversation a thousand times in the last 1.5 years. I told him flat out I did not want to wear the scarf. He said a wife of his must wear the scarf otherwise she will not be properly respected. She will not be seen as a good Muslim. The fury began to boil in me and I as I stared at him I realized why: He had no right to ask me of that.

If he were orthodox in his behavior, I could understand the request. But he is not. He wants to date just like any other American, interact with women, wear tight shirts, go to haram events, avoid going to the mosque, and listen to music. He bends rules when its convienent for him. Doesn't make him a disbeliever, but it sure makes him unorthodox. Yet he wants to marry an orthodox woman who wears traditional hijab, goes to the mosque, looks good in front of the community and his family and is an overall pious Muslim lady.

See the problem? He didn't want to change, but he expected me to change everything. He also expected me to do a 180 once married which is basically impossible.

Problem two was his family. They want him to only marry a Pakistani. He never once in 1.5 years told them about me as his girlfriend. He is too afraid of them. He would have backed off in a second if they had said no to the white American. He did not want to stand up for me. Fear of parents and in laws who hate you for your race does not a good marriage make. Plus they never would have even looked at me as a non Muslim. They would have kicked me out the door. They don't trust convert women, his family says they always let you down. Due to one experience they had. Hold grudges hard his family does.

Add the legal problems and the possibility of leaving the country and you get the whole picture in a nutshell. Now, when we started he told me all I had to do was be Muslim. Didn't say what kind and that his family could care less what my ethnicity is. I didn't have any idea about his legal status. Turned out I had to be a orthodox Shia Muslim, his family did care A LOT, and there were major legal issues a foot that I didn't learn about till over a year into the relationship. Ladies, these things should have been red flags. I was so engrossed in Islam I barely noticed them at all. He was my source of information, my hook up into the community. These issues didn't come to light until I realized there was a slim chance of me being an orthodox Muslim (or one at all). Once I knew that wasn't going to happen, I saw all the problems we were about to face. Most I was not willing to face. And I knew he would chicken out once it came to play his part with his family. It was a lost cause from the beginning.

Ladies take care. If he is of another religion proceed with caution. If his family is directly from a Muslim country or any other country with strict cultural ties proceed with caution. Ask about his family. If they are super orthodox or seem to only stick to their ethnicity be concerned. Ask if they have had any experiences with converts or Non-Muslims. Ask questions, pay attention. Ask how they got their citizenship. Ask what he expects from a wife and hope he tells you the truth right away and doesn't withhold information. Try not to let your hormones and your heart cloud your good judgement.

This is all coming from a girl who knows. Salaam everyone, this is the last real post of inkblotsblueabayas.

12 comments:

  1. This is very informative,thank you so very much.I do wish you the best with your new status and maybe you will come back,I'm sorry to see you go,good luck and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "this is the last real post of inkblotsblueabayas." :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not gone, new blog coming soon. Just the end of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your post. At least you were able to see clearly now instead of a few years down the line with a couple of kids in tow.

    I get angry when I hear about men being selfish (women too but I am focusing on men) and asking the woman to make all the sacrifices while they refuse to change a thing.

    I think you may have saved yourself a HEAP of trouble plus additional disillusionment.

    Are you still part of the community now that he is not in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "See the problem? He didn't want to change, but he expected me to change everything. "

    Yes, that is a huge problem. It's very hypocritical and wrong of him.

    You are so wise. I'm really happy you saw the truth about this relationship before you got into something you would later regret. I trust God has someone better out there for you. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tuttie: Yes I think I saved myself a lot of heartache Thank God. I am still part of the community :) I visit my Muslim buddies every Friday at circle. Circle I found all on my own. Sunday school is over so I don't go there anymore but I was still going even after he and I were pretty much over. Those things were always about me, not about him. My Muslim friends are my friends whether Im Muslim or not :) And I love them for that. They don't care that Im not a Muslim.

    Susanne; Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The good thing is that at least he made it clear what he expected before marrying you, and didn't wait till later to spring surprises on you. It seems very assuming to expect a woman to become Islamic but for some reason a lot of Muslim men have that expectation. And a lot of women do make the change (or put ourselves through stress trying to) or at least go along with the man's ever-increasing expectations for the sake of a peaceful life. I think this story needs to be told, so that others might know how this tends to go and ask more searching questions before getting too involved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah: Yes Im glad that eventually he was honest with me. The expectations built slowly over the 1.5 years we were together. I think his need for an orthodox Muslimah grew as he re-learned more about his faith through me. So I suppose Thank God for strengthening his faith. I too find it amazing that they choose to date non Muslim women but eventually expect us to be the perfect orthodox Muslimah. That is very unlikely to happen. Alhumdilliah for those that find great joy in being that, converting to that level of Islam, but for those of us who cannot it is painful and frustrating. The whole time you are wondering "Why can he not accept me for me?"

    That is why I am leaving inkblotsblueabayas up. So people can learn to ask questions and search as to why they are doing something or what is really going on in a relationship. Muslim men in general expect a lot from their wives, women need to realize that. And that often if a family is religious, the man will eventually be religious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you're leaving it up because I definitely think a person going through something similar will be able to learn something from your journey.

    Sometimes even advice is not worth much when feelings are envolved, but hopefully there are people who are able to push feelings aside to learn the lesson before being too far in. Your situation is not quite the same as mine, but MAN do I wish I had listened to advice! Maybe if I'd gotten it from a person who was going through something similar it would have been taken more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. arghhhhh I hate this situation, which so often occurs, where the man expects his wife to be a paragon of virtue but he can do as he pleases. It has NOTHING to do with God! It is about so-called honour, looking good for the community and harshly judging women! Neither in judaism, christianity nor islam is it MORE of a sin for a woman to do something than a man.
    If a woman steals/commits adultery etc it is as bad as if a man does it.
    wow i just see red when men act like this, it is SO ungodly. And you, my dear, would not want to marry an ungodly man so I'm glad you had the wisdom to leave him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candice: And that is why Im leaving it up. Hope you join me at my new blog :)

    MissChatterBox: You are right my dear I would not want to marry an ungodly man :) Maybe one day I will find one as lovely as yours God Willing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happy for you. You are an intelligent young woman and you have just proven that with your decision!

    Bravo and good luck!

    Hugs and kisses :)

    ReplyDelete