Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ok, Its Hot Modest Ladies

Ok Ladies. I just have to say this to all my hijabi/modest sisters. Dears, lovlies....

Its hot. Stop wearing a skin tight long sleeve shirt under a maxi dress. Or a two layered scarf look with long sleeved T under a short dress over jeans. You will overheat. You will pass out.

Couple weeks ago I went to circle to see my lovely Sisters. They were all hanging out in front of the fan saying how horribly hot it was. And I looked at all of them. Each had 2-3 layers on, the bottom layer being a tight T. All of them had scarf styles that wrapped tightly around the head with an underscarf. I was in a maxi dress, square scarf in a triangle, slip and loose cardigan. I was fine. They were not in the 90 degree heat. And then they wanted to know why they were so hot!

Ladies, I love you. I don't want to see you pass out. Please be smart about what you wear in this heat. I know that some of you follow the 2 layer rule and that can be achieved without being hot. I have a few tips for the modest in this heat:

Scarf Style: I know some of you feel this is only for the aunties but a square folded in half and pinned under the chin seems to be the coolest way to go.

Maxi dress: Pair it with a loose cardigan and you are good to go. Need two layers? use a slip as well. You will stay super cool.

Light weight Abaya: They are indeed cool. Wear a light weight sheath cotton dress underneath and you will be staying cool. Avoid dark colors if possible.

Tunic shirts: these are made for heat, as in made in India. I love them. Shirt a little see through? Use a skin toned bra. No one will be able to tell. Also a tip for white: NEVER wear a white bra under a white garment. It will show right through. Always use skin tone.

Wide leg linen pants: way cooler than those tight jeans and adorable with short dresses, linen pants are the way to go. You can get them at H&M and Forever 21.

Natural fabrics: Use cotton and other natural fabrics. They let your skin breathe and allow the air to circulate.

Wide Sleeves: One of your cooling points oddly enough is your armpit. Make sure the arm hole of your shirts are wide and the sleeves are a little wide. This will allow for air flow and keep you cool.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

9 comments:

  1. O dear lord tell me about it. I'm pregnant and my husband is trying to get me to sport the tight t underneath the layers. I was like forget it buddi. I'm maxi'ing it. I've also tried shorter versions of fflowy skirts with cardi's. as well as long (long being knee length or a bit longer )flowy dresses over large tights. I'm a small so the large tights offers air and a lil modesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. I KNOW! I have been using this dress it was only $9 and it accomadates my growing bust and belly. I paired it with a light cardi + skirt and bam I was good to go. I don't do wrap arounds in the summer. WAY too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the nail on the head! Wide linen pants, tunics, maxi dresses with shorts or loose pants underneath, and light hijabs are our friends in summer. I've also heard that loose jilbabs are amazingly cool during the summer. Two-piece cotton khimars are also great, since they don't cling to you and are only one layer (the underscarf is very thin).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Tuttie: That dress looks awesome Masha'Allah! I bet it's great with a skirt or linen pants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I just see an Egyptian style and I just about pass out imagining how hot a person is in those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a loose abaya and tank top girl myself, but have been known to rock the tunic-cardigan ensembles :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Noor! I really do bet that a loose abaya is very comfy in the heat. Nothing sticking to you at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yep, alhamdulillah for abayaat! Nothing touching whatsoever

    throw on a knee length slip/dress or tank and calf length yoga shorts and I'm ready! (unless I'm going to visit ladies in which case I will keep a cardigan underneath :-P)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say I shudder when I see how some women dress in the Australian heat! I mean here summer can reach 42 degrees celcius and higher.
    You see women with abaya, jeans underneath and sneakers and long sleeved top, and heavy hijab! Worse than thin black abaya - even those thick coloured coats, which turkish women especially seem to wear!! So hot!!

    ReplyDelete