The train. I'm on the train coming back in my long abaya style coat and black hijab. The kind of hijab that very much screams Islam, like the kind that they wear in Persepolis. I'm on the train and I hear a bunch of ladies, most likely in their 50s, talking about where they are trying to go. They are talking and talking and I hear them mention "Christopher St". By now, we are already in the middle of the city, Christopher St is way down town. So I did something I'm usually too nervous to do: I interrupted them to see if I can help.
I called over to them really nicely and they were surprised but so relieved to find out someone knew how to get them to their hotel! I told them where to get off and what train to take back (They got the orange train confused with the red one. They needed the red one). And the tallest lady turned to me and said "Without you we would have never figured it out. Thank you". And I smiled, happy to help.
And then I realized something. Not only did I just do a good deed which is good in itself but I just did a good deed for Islam. These ladies just saw a little muslim woman be kind, helpful, and friendly. I little muslim woman who just joked with them about getting lost and offered to help them find their way. I just did a good thing for the image of Islam.
And maybe that is why one should wear the scarf in the US. To try and improve the image of Islam. No it shouldn't just be on the back of women, I agree. But, it is a nice thought that I may have just improved six people's image of Islam. Just by being myself.
Good for you,you did not miss your Importunity.I'm sorry to have to report that I've witnessed some Spirit filled Christians totally miss it big time.
ReplyDeleteThat's great, LK! I think by each of us reaching out to others willing to help it speaks volumes. It's when we draw inwardly unwilling to risk rejection that people don't see us for the good we can offer. Because we keep it inside.
ReplyDeleteLoved this story! :)
Barbie, Hmm... Spirit-filled Christians missing opportunities to outreach - sounds like an oxymoron to me. I mean, last time I checked, the Spirit was in its essence one of witnessing to Jesus Christ - that has to be the point of all the spiritual gifts. I may miss opportunities myself, but then again, I don't walk around referring to myself as 'Spirit-filled' either.
ReplyDeleteIn fact, last time I checked, a truly Spirit-filled person would not even want to hear themselves described that way by others, much less do so themselves. Seems to me the best thing to do if someone catches another person talking like that about them is to say, 'Only God can know that' (or Allahu Aleem if they're in the right sort of company...).
I think it's great that you helped those women and you probably did help them to associate something positive with Islam. But I'm not sure about the jump to that as a reason to wear hijab. In my opinion, *not* wearing hijab can also help improve the image of Islam in the US *if* you are out as a Muslim. Obviously it won't have an effect on total strangers, who won't see you visibly as Muslim, but it can help change the views of those who have more contact with you. I know that my circle (mostly UUs and academics) knows a lot more about Islam now because of me, whereas if I wore hijab I believe they would make a lot of assumptions about what I believe and would have their misconceptions of Islam (falsely) "confirmed."
ReplyDelete[Of course my choice to wear a scarf in a Spanish bun (thanks for teaching me that term) complicates things because non-Muslims assume I do so for religious reasons and I'm not sure what other Muslims think of it.]
Zuhura: No its not like is a good enough reason to wear it. But I think its a positive to wearing it...if that makes sense. That alone would not be a good enough reason to wear the scarf in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteI mean yes a non-scarf wearing muslimah is going to be easier for a non-muslim to identify with than a scarf wearing muslimah because they look more like them. Its the same idea why usually people of same ethnicities identify with each other more often than those of other ethnicities. They are more like you thus you identify more easily with them. Also, they are instantly going to assume you are less religious thusly less fanatical and less associated with the terrorists they see on TV. Its one of the reasons I usually shy away from the traditional black scarf: it screams stereotype and usually turns people off. So yes I get what you are saying. However, I think it does change what people think of a muslimah in a scarf when she does something they wouldn't expect like speak up and help since they probably assume she is too meek to speak.