Monday, October 12, 2009

Biblical Translations and Muhammad (AS)

Hijab Chic just posted a really interesting post on the passages in the bible that mention the coming of another prophet.  I know that it is popular to attribute these passages to Jesus or the Holy  Spirit.  Often they are removed all together.  

Out of curiosity I grabbed my bible "The New American Bible" (Catholic bible; 1987; student edition)  to see what they looked like in mine.  Here are the differences.  

HC: "The prophet who prophesies of peace, when the line of the prophets comes to end, then that prophet will be known as one whom the Lord has truly sent."
[Jeremiah 28:9]

Skipped.  It goes directly from 7 to 10.  8 and 9 are not present.

"I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee Moses and will put my words in his mouth and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. And it shall come to pass that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him."
[Deuteronomy 18:18-19]

I will raise up for them a prophet like you from amongst their kinsmen, and will put my words into his mouth: he shall tell them all I command him.  If any man will not listen to my words which he speaks in my name, I myself will make him answer for it. ----- goes on to say-----But if a prophet presumes to speak in my name an oracle that I have not commanded him to speak, or speaks in the name of other gods, he shall die.

The reasoning behind leaving this passage in is the Christians feel they can easily say Muhammad (AS) is not a prophet because false prophets will come preaching in the name of God as in line 20

"Then the book will be given to the one who is illiterate, saying, 'Please read this.' And he will say, I cannot read."
[Isaiah 29:12]


Not in my bible.  Goes from line 11 to 13

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever, the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
[John 14:16-17]

"But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned. I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will glorify me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you."
[John 16:7-14]


And I will ask the father and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always.  the Spirit of Truth which the world cannot accept because it neither sees nor knows it.  But you know it because it remains with you and will be in you.

But I tell you the truth: it is better for that I go.  For if I do not go the Advocate will no come to you.  But if I go, I will send him to you.  And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation sin because they do not believe in me; righteous because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me condemnation because the ruler of this world has been condemned.  I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.  But when he comes, the Spirit of Truth, he will guide you all to truth.  He will not speak on his own but he will speak what he hears and will declare to you the things that are coming.  He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

 Interesting huh?  Same book, very different translations.  Some verses missing all together.  I wish I had an older bible or a newer christian denomination's bible.  Many newer churches put back a lot of the verses the Catholic church took out way back in the day.

Just thought it would be interesting.  Thanks Hijab Chic.

Note: this is why when you take religion class they assign a particular edition of the bible.

This is also why reading the bible is incredibly frustrating for me and why it is hard to believe it is the "word of God" when many editions can be drastically different.







14 comments:

  1. Am making hit and run comment.

    Interestingly, in my NAB 'The New Catholic Answer Bible' (2005) Jeremiah 28:9 & Isaiah 29:12 are there. I haven't checked my other Bibles yet. And I don't have any older editions to compare them to anyway.

    I won't say that this means what the Muslims want them to mean, but it's interesting.

    But this 'Anchor Bible Project' is interesting. Worth more research at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the reasoning behind the Catholic church removing parts of the Bible? That they were corrupted or they just didn't feel it was necessary or what? Weird that they would believe it to be the word of God somehow, but then remove parts... If parts were corrupted, why would the rest be so true? Kind of like the hadiths, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candice: All the churches removed parts for a slew of reasons. Actually, it seems that even in the last 20 years the church has taken more of a stance that the Bible isn't necessarily the direct word of God and that it has been changed by man. That Christianity is progressive and allows change. This may be the people of the church though and not necessarily the church itself. I can't see the Catholic Church saying the Bible isn't directly the word of God.

    Some changes were made because the higher ups didn't like some of the passages or books (yes they pulled full books). Or they felt the original translations were incorrect. Also, each denomination or sect has its own Bible and they are often different. Basically, each group removes what they don't agree with, adds what they do. Its weird to me and was always confusing. What still gets me is that whole books are missing.

    But in general they are usually similar, just not as similar or consistent as translations of the Torah or the Qur'an.

    Amber: Yeah my version just might be weird. I read the chapters and even the pages the chapters were on but I could'nt find them.

    Bibles are weird lol. I still remember taking religion in college and we were all required to get Catholic Bibles for consistency. We still had issues with translations and full paragraphs not saying the same thing or using the same terminology. I was so glad I already knew the New Testament well or it would have been very confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends on who you ask. I had one teacher in RCIA who insisted that every letter, period, comma, yadda, yadda, was inerrantly written by God and is *exactly* the same as it was from time immemorial. (Just for the record, I didn't get on with that teacher.) And another who said that we've come across better, more complete texts, we understand the original languages better now...etc.

    I guess it's a matter of perspective. Can your faith flow with reality, or do you try to remake reality to match your faith?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post. I've heard before that Muslims try to find Muhammad in the Bible. Not surprisingly, I disagree, but since this post is not about that, I won't get into it.

    Thanks for sharing what you are finding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly, good point!
    I also compared the translations of the Bible I was using to write the post to some other translations/versions online and some of them were totally different and some verses had been completely left out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is weird that it happens that way.

    Susanne: yeah I dunno if they really mean Muhammad specifically but I have no issues with thinking another prophet would show up. After all, we will constantly need God's teachings to be reinforced since we keep screwing them up. LOL

    I sometimes wonder if they mean someone will always come to help us. Whether it be when Jesus returns (which the muslims also believe btw) or if it will be other prophets to come. Dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the Muslim pov was that the Qur'an is it. God won't let anyone change it, so no more prophets needed, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not exactly because they believe A LOT of prophets have come and gone but there are only a few major ones...I believe the number is 12 on the major ones, I'm not sure. Muhammad being the last yes. Yes most believe it is the final book and no other book is needed after it. But the Qur'an doesn't discount the Bible or the Torah completely either.

    Thats my personal thoughts, not a muslim thought. Not everything I think agrees 100% with the majority of muslim thinkers. I just figure at some point someone else will come along because we cant get it right lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm so the bible has different 'editions'

    very interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was just having a look in my bible at isaiah 29:11, found it interesting, completely different again, thought I would share.
    " All the future events in this vision are like a sealed book to them. When you give it to those who can read they will say "we cant read it because it is sealed. 12. When you give it to those who cannot read they will say "we do not know how to read."
    This is the abundant life bible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW that is REALLY different. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Remember, these are all translations that we are talking about. The original text of the O.T. is in Hebrew. These verses are all present in the standard editions of the Hebrew text, so I have no idea why that Catholic translation decided not to print them.
    As far as whether or not they refer to Muhammad is another issue entirely.
    I just found your blog, feel free to check mine out too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prophets of Islam mentioned in the Holy Quran

    1. Adam
    2. Idris (Enoch)
    3. Nuh (Noah)
    4. Hud (Heber)
    5. Saleh (Shelah)
    6. Ibrahim (Abraham)
    7. Lut (Lot)
    8. Ismail (Ishmael)
    9. Ishaq (Isaac)
    10. Yaqub (Jacob)
    11. Yusuf (Joseph)
    12. Shoaib (Jethro)
    13. Musa (Moses)
    14. Harun (Aaron)
    15. Dawud (David)
    16. Suleyman (Solomon)
    17. Ayub (Job)
    18. Ilyas (Elias)
    19. Zulkifl (Ezekiel)
    20. Al-Yas3 (Elisha)
    21. Yunus (Jonah)
    22. Zakariya (Zechariah)
    23. Yahya (John the Baptist)
    24. Isa (Jesus)
    25. Muhammad (saw)

    ReplyDelete