"I thought you might want to, you know, since a lot of people do." My Love looked at me taken aback as I stared at him with tears in my eyes.
"Why on earth would I want to change my name!? It's not like its a requirement..." I couldn't believe he thought I might actually want to change my name.
"Changing your name is really common with reverts is all. Its like developing a new sense of identity within the religion. Its like getting a new name because you are reborn. I didn't mean anything by it...I like your name...Its fine, forget about it..."
"But you want me to."
"I like your name. But think about it. Maybe think about adding a name?"
I stared at him with slitted, annoyed anime eyes. " My name would be five names long. Two first, one middle, two last."
"Two last?"
"I'm hyphenating." I looked at him, his face still shocked by my reaction. I could tell he was ready for me to start sobbing. "I'll think about it. But I'm not changing my first name. If they can't pronounce it, too bad. I don't want to give up everything about my current self. Its like my identity."
"Ok. I'm sorry."
So I will think about it. Providing the name has significance and sounds ok with the rest of my names....wonder if I can use Ali....
I'm not Arab, I'll never be Arab. I will always be white and I'm keeping my white name. So there. I do not want to change everything about myself to "fit" into the Islamic culture. I want to be me, only the muslim version. That is all.
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I won't change mine either!
ReplyDeleteWoooo you go Candice! Its just I've heard that when you marry its recommended NOT to take your husbands name in order to retain your identity. So why would I want to give up my identity when retaining it is so important in Islam?
ReplyDeleteJust didnt make sense. But five names could be fun lol.